Kazakhstan to a Nittany Lion

My thoughts and perspective on Kazakhstani culture. (These are my thoughts and opinions alone and do not reflect the policies or opinions of the Peace Corps or the United States Government)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

About One Month to Go

With about one month to go, the paperwork shows minimal sign of relenting. Currently, I'm wrestling with my Aspiration Statement. In a nutshell, I certainly expect Kazakhstani life and culture to be a challenge at first compared to life in the United States, but I don't view it as something I can't handle. I feel like I am inquisitive and relaxed enough to learn about subjects foreign to me. Granted, I may not be as skilled at some subjects as others (calculus versus caddying), but I am usually willing to try anything once.

Reading a number of blogs tonight was very helpful to see the positives and the negatives of life in Kaz. I read some posts of English teachers who had been received with open arms into their schools and were held in very high regard by their students and villagers, as well as other posts of volunteers who struggled to integrate into their communities because of the language barriers.

Overall, I'm extremely excited to be going to Kaz. It won't be easy, but that is one main reason why I signed up; to challenge myself. I will try and publish one in-depth post before I leave to explain my rationale and overall goals for my adventure. But after that, this blog won't be in full swing until after August 23rd when I travel to Almaty because the blog is supposed to be about Kaz, not life here in the States.

Thank you for reading and I hope you check back soon for any updates.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Anson!
Great blog update! It sounds like you and I both have had some pretty full days lately (and little sleep). Glad you arrived safely and are starting to settle in. Keep up the great work and positive spirit!

Love, Robin

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home